Kirbie, a fellow food blogger in San Diego posted a wonderfully yummy sounding recipe for an almond tea cake last week. Thanks to Costco, I had 4lbs of strawberries in my fridge that needed to be consumed quickly so I decided that I would try this recipe and add strawberries to it.
Talk about a quick and simple recipe… Break out a bowl, whisk and spatula and you’re good to go. I put together this baby in about 5-10 minutes this morning.
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
sliced almonds for sprinkling
1 cup strawberries, cut into small pieces
Sliced strawberries for decorating
1. Set the oven to 350°F.
2. Grease a 9″ pan. I used a springform pan…my first time ever!
3. Whisk the eggs into the sugar one by one and then add in the salt and extracts. Mix well.
4. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the flour.
5. Fold in the butter and strawberries.
6. Pour batter into cake pan and smooth top with spatula.
7. Place sliced strawberries in whatever pattern you desire. Sprinkle almonds on top.
8. Bake in oven until golden brown. The original recipe stated 25-30 mins but I found with the strawberries added, I had to bake this cake for about 40 mins.
Since Husband doesn’t do strawberries…or really any sort of fruit (*sigh*), I baked an original recipe version for him. He liked it and so did our pug….
The strawberry version definitely came out more moist than the original but the original isn’t dry by any means. Both had very strong almond flavors so if you are not an almond fan (is that even possible???), this is not the cake you are looking for. But if you are an almond fan, welcome to happiness.
I will be making this again, maybe next week to share with friends! And I think this would go over well at the upcoming baby shower I’m helping host. I’m thinking of using a mini-muffin pan to make “baby” versions. Thanks Kirbie!
Visit Kirbie’s site for other great recipes!